What to do if conjunctivitis appeared in a newborn?
It often happens that newborn babies have watery eyes and turn sour, they start to act up and scream more than usual. And young mothers, instead of going to a doctor, begin to consult with grandparents, use folk remedies and treat with drugs that they will be advised in a pharmacy.
Treatment of conjunctivitis in a newborn is quite a serious process, because this disease, if improperly or inadequately treated, is fraught with complications that can ruin your child’s vision for life.
- It often happens that conjunctivitis in infants appears immediately after birth. With what it can be connected? In newborns, the immune system is not yet perfect, now more and more babies are born with a reduced function of body defense - these are babies born to at-risk mothers, premature babies.
- Maternity hospitals often do not have an ideal hygienic regime.Another cause of the spread of conjunctivitis among newborns are external factors, that is, infections and viruses.
- Depending on the causative agents of the disease, conjunctivitis is distinguished: bacterial, viral, chlamydial, gonococcal. Still there is an allergic conjunctivitis, it is referred to as a non-viral type.
The most pronounced signs
The main symptoms of this disease in babies are slightly different from those of adults. In infants with conjunctivitis, sleep and appetite are disturbed, they are capricious and constantly nervous. It is worth paying attention to the baby's eyes after sleeping.
If the eyelids began to stick together, become covered with a yellow crust or any discharge began to appear, then these are already signals for anxiety. Do not forget that newborns do not have tears at all, so any, even minimal allocation, an occasion to reflect. Other signs of this disease are photophobia, burning, and suppuration.
For some reason among some people there is an opinion that the treatment of conjunctivitis in newborns is not necessary. If the treatment of conjunctivitis is not serious, then it will spread into the deeper layers of the eye,causing such a disease as keratitis.
How to treat?
In general, the treatment of such a disease is carried out with drugs. The first step is to contact a specialist who can identify the disease and prescribe the correct course of treatment. Usually, there are special drops of conjunctivitis, the use of which in newborns, usually controlled by a doctor.
It is strongly recommended not to engage in self-medication or ignore the doctor's instructions, since improperly selected medications can significantly worsen a patient's condition. Whether the treatment will be carried out - at home or in a hospital, the doctor will also prescribe, depending on the severity of the disease.
Before burying the eyes of a newborn baby, they must be washed. This is done using a normal cotton swab and boiled water, or a tincture of chamomile or tea. The liquid is applied on cotton wool, after which it is necessary to wipe the eye from the outer corner to the inner corner. If necessary, the procedure can be repeated several times.
How to bury eyes
Before using drops, be sure to read all the instructions and the correct way to them.application.
The baby should be put on the back, after which the left hand lift the upper eyelid and slightly pull the lower one. Use your right hand to drop the required number of drops on the lower eyelid, after which you can remove your hand and gently wipe the eye from the outside to the inside.
Carefully ensure that all the necessary number of drops fall into the eyelid, otherwise the lack of the drug can lead to a more protracted disease process.
Depending on the type of conjunctivitis, the disease will proceed in different ways, and treatment is prescribed different.
Than to treat a conjunctivitis at the newborn child the doctor can define, especially if at you any of subspecies of this disease.
- Allergic conjunctivitis. This type of the disease under discussion occupies a separate place, because its causes and treatment are significantly different. Two eyes are affected simultaneously, the allergic type is prone to seasonality - it manifests itself only at the end of winter or early spring. This type of conjunctivitis affects more boys than girls. For the period of treatment, the child must be protected from direct sunlight.
- Chlamydia conjunctivitis. A rather acute form of conjunctivitis, which most often manifests itself on the 14th day after the birth of the baby, in more rare cases - on the 30th. Accompanied by strong purulent secretions, can develop into a chronic disease. Treatment, in addition to drops, is usually accompanied by pills or injections.
- Gonococcal conjunctivitis. Usually manifested on the 2nd or 3rd day after birth. It is acquired during the passage of the birth canal of the mother, from the staff of the maternity hospital, through the items of care. This species is accompanied by severe swelling of the baby’s eyes, it is most dangerous, as it can cause inflammation of the entire eye if it is treated incorrectly. The treatment is carried out with the help of antibiotics in the prescribed dose, drops and eye rinsing, at night for the eyelids may apply ointment.
The main errors in the treatment
Among caring grandmothers, on the Internet or from helpful girlfriends, you can find out this way - wiping the baby’s eyes with breast milk. This can not be done because the milk contains proteins, fats and carbohydrates, which are a beneficial environment for various kinds of infections.
In no case, you should not put any dressings or compresses on the eyes, since such conditions are most favorable for the penetration of the disease into the deeper layers of the eye.
Kim Kardashian is very thin
How to find out the percentage of body fat
Interesting Anchovy Dishes
What you need to clean the scalp
Giraffe in Love
Prince George wrote a letter to Santa Claus