Moorish lawn - the perfect solution for your garden
If you want to decorate your garden plot brightly and unusually, then break on it a chic Moorish lawn. It is much easier than you can imagine!
What it is?
Moorish lawn is one of the varieties of lawns, resembling a meadow, consisting of grasses and wild flowers. He is not at all like neat and short-cropped English, but for this very reason many gardeners love him so much. By the way, this name appeared due to the fact that the lawn was especially widespread in the Cordoba caliphate when Muslims ruled in Spain.
Surprisingly, the Moorish lawn appeared thanks to the Slavs. In the VII-VIII centuries, Arabs and Moors formed numerous settlements in North Africa and Spain, capturing a part of the territories. Their rulers were appointed emirs and caliphs. And they decided to show their greatness to the whole world and began to build luxurious palaces. But they were beautiful not only inside but also outside, and they were also surrounded by beautiful gardens.
For the breakdown of gardens and care for them, numerous gardeners were brought, among whom were Slavs who had fallen from Crimea as mercenaries and slaves. And it was thanks to them that the Moorish lawn began to resemble the Russian meadow, but the rulers, who loved diversity and color, liked it. And this version appeared.
How to make a composition?
What plants should be included in Moorish lawn? Ideally, it consists of field and meadow flowers, as well as grasses. And the last in the composition should be about 10-20%, that is, they play the role of some fresh green background. But the proportion of flowers is usually about 80-90%, and they are the main accent.
When choosing flowers it is worth taking into account such criteria as the period and duration of flowering, growing conditions, compatibility of certain species, colors, height of plants, as well as features of the site (light, soil).
As a grassy component of the lawn, you can use such cereals as grains, meadow bluegrass, red fescue, thin bent, pasture ryegrass, meadow timothy, lagurus, fragrant Zubrovka and so on.
To see the fruits of labor in the near future, you can plant bulbous early flowers: hazel grouses, crocuses, tulips, daffodils, flowering trees, cyclamens. It should be planted and wild perennial meadow plants, for example, chamomile, echinacea, tansy, arnica, nemesia, oriental poppy, shaker. Use annuals as well: nasturtiums, cornflowers, forget-me-nots, marigolds, phloxes, flax, delphiniums, daisies, bells, primula, clover, carnations, snapdragons.
We break a lawn: the main stages of creation
How to make a moorish lawn? Its creation consists of several main stages:
- First you need to choose the most suitable place for the breakdown. Firstly, it must be quite spacious, visible and open, otherwise the lawn chic will not be revealed fully. Secondly, the site should be sunny, as meadow flowers like sufficient lighting. For example, you can equip a kind of field corner near the gazebo, next to the fence, or near an artificial small pond.
- Now we should proceed to the preparation of the site. And its first stage will be its clearing. First of all, you should remove the garbage. Next, remove all weeds.If there are a lot of them, and they have powerful roots, then the upper part of the soil can be treated with a specialized means (for example, glyphosphate), and after about a month, remove this layer (about 10-15 centimeters thick).
- Next, you need to dig the ground well, going deep by about 25-35 centimeters. Fertilizers should be applied at this stage. You can simply replace the top layer of soil nourishing chernozem. But you can also use any organic fertilizer, such as humus or manure.
- Planting can be done in the fall (this option is called podzyme, and it allows you to “harden” the seeds and thereby ensure the active growth of plants) or in spring, around the end of April, when the risk of a significant decrease in temperature and soil freezing will be minimal. You can either simply mix all the seeds evenly to get a floral-herbal multicolored carpet. But you can also alternate small group plantings, it will also look very interesting. Before sowing the soil, it is desirable to slightly moisten. Usually, the rate of landing (that is, the number of seeds per area) is indicated on the packages, but if there is no such information, then stick to a proportion of 25-30 grams per 4.5-5 square meters of the future lawn.Spread the seeds evenly over the area, using a rake to deepen them by 5-7 centimeters. Moisten the entire surface with a drip (for example, using a special hose nozzle).
- Now you should cover the future lawn with non-woven material. First, it will create a greenhouse effect and accelerate the emergence of the first shoots. Secondly, so you can protect the seeds from the birds.
- After the appearance of the first shoots, you can remove the material that covered the lawn.
Moorish lawn, created by own hands, does not require complex maintenance, because all plants are unpretentious. It is enough just to water it regularly and also to cut it. The first haircut is made around the beginning of June, that is, before flowering, which will allow to shorten the grass and prevent it from drowning flowering plants. The second time you should cut the lawn after the fall of the buds, that is, at the end of September or in October. The height of cut plants should be about 8-10 centimeters.
Advantages and disadvantages
Pros of the Moorish lawn:
- Ease of arrangement. Lawn is easy to break independently, without any special knowledge.
- It does not require complex care, even a beginner can handle it.
- Meadow and wildflowers have a pleasant aroma, so that your garden will smell sweet.
- Long flowering period. The lawn will be pleasing to the eye from the end of spring to the autumn.
- Colorful and attractive appearance. A variety of colors and shapes give the lawn a special chic.
- The pollen of some field or meadow plants can cause allergies, so this option is not suitable for everyone.
- Among the components of the lawn there are honey plants, so be prepared for uninvited guests on your site: wasps, bumblebees, bees and other insects that collect pollen.
- This option can not be called practical. So, the lawn is not suitable for walking and especially active games, it performs exclusively decorative functions. And if the garden is small, then you should choose something else.
Some recommendations to gardeners:
- To ensure that the lawn actively grows and does not cause trouble, it is best to use local seeds for its breakdown, they will sooner get accustomed and adapt to the conditions.
- Some meadow and wildflowers do not tolerate waterlogging of the soil and stagnation of water in it. And to avoid such trouble, you should provide a small slope of the soil (about 3-5 degrees), which will ensure the removal of rain or irrigation water, that is drainage.
- It is advisable to start planting seeds two weeks after fertilization. This is required for their penetration into the deeper layers of the soil and uniform distribution. So when you fertilize the soil, lightly tamp it down and wait.
Emily Ratakovski showed Lena Dunham how to look sexy on Instagram
Vogue photographer Terry Richardson lost his job due to harassment accusations
Video of the day: Lady Gaga in karaoke at the wheel
Cotton candy at home
Simple ideas for creating a table lamp
5 best natural dyes for Easter eggs