How to make smart mixborders?
Landscaping is not just randomly planted plants. To make the garden original and beautiful, you can create flower arrangements, for example, mixborders. Learn how to do this.
What is a mixboarder?
Mixborder - a mixed flower garden, usually having an elongated shape. Literally, the name translates as "mixed border", but the form, in principle, can be any.
Mixboarders are different. So, if for the basis of classification we take the plants that are part of, then we can distinguish woody, vegetable, coniferous, floral, as well as mixed. Depending on the flowering season, mixborders can be divided into spring, summer, autumn, winter and continuously flowering.
Where to arrange a flower arrangement?
First of all, choose the place where the mixborder will be located. It should not be under the sun, direct rays are far from all flowers. Also, do not choose a windy and unprotected area, drafts and sharp gusts can damage inflorescences or even stems.
You can place the composition near the front of the house, along the garden path, near the fence area, along the edge of the terrace or directly on the lawn. And do not forget to take into account the viewing angle so that the composition is fully visible and exactly in the perspective you planned.
Tip: when choosing a suitable place, consider the size of the mixborder, as well as the features of the growth of colors. Plants should not be cramped, otherwise they will not unfold in all their glory or even feel uncomfortable.
How to make an original composition?
How to make beautiful mixborders in the garden? To do this, it is not enough just to choose the plants you like and plant them on the same bed; everything should be carefully planned, thought out and acted upon.
So, the main stages of the creation of mixborders:
- Design. To begin, select the appropriate plants and make a detailed scheme of their placement. As a basis for the composition, you can use shrubs that will play the role of a certain “skeleton”. They are planted with equal intervals sufficient for growth. For example, you can use conifers: cypress, columnar yew, scaly juniper.Further, there are medium-growing perennials, such as geyhera, tunbergia, cineraria, wormwood, feather grass, sedge. Then you can plant onion and annual plants: crocuses, muscari, primroses, daffodils, snowdrops, tulips. Then stunted plants (sage, chernobrivtsy, cuff, calendula) can be placed, and in the foreground are ground covers (stonecrop, kotula, gerbil). If you plan to review from two sides, then the "skeleton" is located in the center, and along its sides place the remaining plants, keeping to the gradation.
- Soil preparation. Be sure to fertilize it and loosen it.
- Preparation of plants. If you have purchased ready-made seedlings, you can move them to the ground. And if you plan to grow from seed, then start it in advance, so that by the beginning of flowering all the plants are already in the soil.
- Start planting plants. Arrange them approximately at equal distances from each other, taking into account the size and features of growth, so that no voids remain, they will worsen the appearance.
How to choose plants?
Selection of plants should be based on the following important points:
- Features of flowering.Ideally, you need to create a continuously flowering and "long-playing" composition. It is best to use perennials. But try to pick them up so that they bloom in turn. Then the buds will gradually be replaced, and the composition will not spoil and does not seem empty and not filled. And to mask the lack of flowers in certain areas, you can use abundant and long-blooming annuals.
- The size. It is necessary to take into account not only the height, but also the splendor of growth, so that the plants do not overlap each other and do not mix, it will look sloppy and can harm flowers.
- Features care. You should not plant near plants that require complex and radically different care, you just can not provide it. So it is advisable to choose and use flowers to create a composition that grows under approximately the same conditions. And in order to find out them and not make mistakes, in advance and carefully study the information about each plant.
- Favorable neighborhood. Some plants simply can not get along with each other, and in the end one or more may suffer.So, before planting, find out whether it is possible to combine certain flowers, whether they will feel comfortable and fully grow on the same territory.
- Color spectrum. When selecting plants it is important to take into account their shades, because they must be combined so that the mixborder does not seem motley. You can choose two or three successfully combined tones, such as red and yellow, lilac and pink, blue and yellow. In any tandem, you can enter the universal white. Also try to create a monochrome composition of different shades of the same color.
- Concept or style. Do you want to design a unique design? Then choose a concept or style. It can be country with large plants, Provence with wildflowers, landscape composition with wild flowers.
In order for the mixborder created by your own hands to please the eye from late spring to early fall, provide proper care for it. It is in compliance with the following rules:
- Remove the weeds so that they do not interfere with the plants to grow normally.
- Make pruning in time: remove faded buds, as well as weak or too long shoots.
- For prevention, treat against pests.
- Regularly water the mixborder, but do not allow soil moisture and moisture stagnation.
- Do not forget to fertilize.
A few recommendations:
- If you can not make the diagram yourself, then use the ready one.
- It is not necessary to make the mixboarder multilevel, all plants can be located approximately on the same level. But then they should be low and few, otherwise some instances will go unnoticed.
- To find interesting ideas or use others', you can see photos in magazines devoted to gardening or flower breeding.
- If on one of the flowers there are signs of disease or damage by pests, then it is desirable to remove it. And the rest of the plants should be sprinkled with an insecticide to avoid the multiplication of parasites.
Create a classy mixborder so that it gives aesthetic pleasure and fluffy bloom from spring to autumn!
How to fry sea fish tasty
How to choose an e-book
Vegetarianism and pregnancy
How to fill out a payment request
Stylish design options stairs in the house (12 photos)