Gout - Signs, Symptoms, Medication, and Popular Treatment
People suffer from gout from time immemorial. This joint disease is called “the disease of kings.” In ancient times, the rich abused fish, fatty meat and alcohol, because of what developed pathology. Let's understand what is gout and how to treat it at home with folk and medications.
Gout - what is it?
Gout is a systemic disease when salts of uric acid are deposited in the tissues, which leads to inflammation of the joints. A prime example of gout is a bulging bump on the big toe, the effects of the first attack. In the future, an arthritic attack can spread to the joints of the arms, legs, and even the knees.
Gout is not limited to problems with the wearing of shoes and the aesthetic ugliness of the foot. Severe pain, which cannot be eliminated with conventional painkillers, the spread of the inflammatory process to other joints and surrounding tissues, constant relapses,leading to joint deformities - some of the consequences of the disease in question.
Gout is an age-related disease. In children and adolescents rarely diagnosed. Usually, the first attacks in men occur at the age of 40, in women after the fiftieth birthday. In people older than 60 years, the disease occurs in 97% of cases. The representatives of the stronger sex, the disease is more common, because their blood is initially a higher level of uric acid.
People have long mastered the technique of treating gout. Originally used by folk methods, now resorting to advanced methods of therapy, created thanks to modern medical advances.
Signs and symptoms of gout
Talk about the signs and symptoms of gout. The first stage of the disease has no symptoms. The body increases the amount of uric acid salts, which lead to the appearance of the disease. The duration of the stage can be calculated for decades.
In the second phase, gouty arthritis appears. At this stage, the disease is manifested by edema and pain in the area of the affected joint, high fever. The clinical picture is characterized by pronounced signs.
- Exacerbation occurs in the morning or late in the evening. Pain appears in the affected joint.
- In the epicenter and adjacent tissues swelling occurs. The skin at this point turns red and glitters.
- The temperature rises, and touching the joint becomes painful.
- The patient experiences general weakness and severe malaise.
Chronic stage is accompanied by the formation of nodules under the skin and seals, which soften during exacerbations. First, seizures are rare and are accompanied by acute pain. In the future, they become more frequent and continue for hours. The transition of gout to the chronic form is accompanied by damage to other joints and the development of chronic arthritis.
Causes of disease
The primary cause of gout is called an excess amount of uric acid, which for a long period circulates in the blood and accumulates. Over time, the crystallization process starts, resulting in the formation of deposits in the tissues. This causes foci of inflammation. What else are the causes of gout?
- Gout often acts as a side effect of drugs or the result of their misuse. These are drugs that prevent the normal functioning of the kidneys - Aspirin, diuretics.
- The development of pathology contributes to obesity, diabetes, psoriasis, lead poisoning, kidney failure. The cause of the exacerbation is injury or surgery.
- Gout often appears in people who regularly use saturated purine bases. Fatty meat, seafood, soda and alcohol contribute to the accumulation of these substances.
- Great importance is heredity. With the right way of life and a healthy diet, the disease runs in a latent state and progresses after a negative impact.
Gout mainly affects men aged 30-50 years. However, the problem begins to appear more often in women, especially during menopause. Experts distinguish two forms of the disease. The appearance of the primary form is due to the accumulation of purines, and the second - the development of pathologies and misuse of medications.
Gout Treatment at Home
As a rule, the victims of gout are people with a good job, who do not refuse to eat, and who love big meals. The periods of exacerbation of this chronic disease alternate with remissions.Without treatment, the attacks of gout become more frequent and more intense. In the end, this leads to the defeat of large joints, impaired kidney function and disability.
Avoid this fate will help know how to treat gout. Modern methods of struggle are based on folk remedies and pharmaceutical medicines.
The main therapeutic approach, used in the treatment of gout, involves the use of medications. Some are used to treat seizures, others are used during remission.
Gout therapy is aimed at reducing the intensity of pain and muffling the inflammatory response. For this purpose, used drugs of a number of pharmacological groups. Let's consider them.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Reduce the severity of pain and inflammation. In the list of drugs Diclofenac and Indomethacin.
- Hormonal anti-inflammatory drugs. Drugs are based on adrenal hormones. The mechanism of action resembles non-steroid drugs, but provides the best effect. When exacerbations are used Hydrocortisone, Dexamethasone.
- ColchicinePlant alkaloid with anti-inflammatory effects. The drug is used to conduct therapeutic measures for gout.
After eliminating the symptoms of a gout attack, a period of calm begins. At this point, medication is used, aimed at reducing the products of purine metabolism.
- Allopurinol. It blocks the function of xanthioxidase. The absence of this enzyme slows down the formation of purine metabolism products, which reduces the deposits in the joints.
- Benzobromarone. Accelerates the excretion of purine metabolism products with urine. This is due to the blockage of absorption of water and the substances contained in it from the primary urine into the bloodstream.
Improve the results of treatment with medications and tablets are helped by folk remedies and a diet that provides for the refusal to consume foods saturated with purine bases.
For many centuries, healers have accumulated many recipes for treating gout at home. Some of them are lost in history, others are used everywhere. I will introduce you to 15 proven folk remedies.I hope you will be able to find an option that will help cure the joints and ease the course of the disease.
- . Mix in equal amounts. From the resulting mixture on the compressive tissue, a uniform layer is made, then applied to the sore joint overnight.
- Black bread and yogurt. In a half-liter jar poured a glass of kefir, the remaining space is filled with crumbs of rye bread and add a spoonful of soda. After five hours, the infusion is filtered and make daily lotions and night compresses.
- Fresh fish. Fish weighing two kilograms are cut into fillets, cut each layer into ten pieces, laid out in bags and sent to the freezer. Before going to bed, thawed piece of fish is applied to the joint, covered with foil, wrapped in a cloth and left until morning.
- Activated carbon and flaxseeds. The activated carbon tablets are made into a half cup of powder, which is combined with a spoonful of ground flax seeds. With the help of water, a paste is made from the mixture, which is applied to the joint, covered with waterproof fabric and secured with a bandage.
- Onion decoction. Three onions are poured with a liter of water, put on gas and cooked until the vegetable is completely boiled soft. Broth, after filtration, consumed three times a day before meals in a glass.
- Apple compote. Apples are rich in potassium salts that prevent the formation of uric acid. Three fresh apples are finely chopped, poured with a liter of water, brought to a boil and boiled for a quarter of an hour. Finished apple decoction is drunk as tea. The minimum daily dose is 4 cups.
- Lemon Garlic Tincture. Four lemons and three heads of peeled garlic are passed through the meat grinder. The mixture is poured with two cups of boiling water and left in a warm place for three days. After filtering take once a day half a stamping.
- Elder. A decoction made from elderberry berries has a disinfectant and diuretic effect on the body. A spoonful of berries poured a glass of boiling water, insist for half an hour, cool and drink a spoon before a meal.
- Cherry. Fresh cherry berries reduce the level of uric acid in the body. For a quick recovery, they undergo a weekly course of treatment, during which they eat half a pound of fresh berries daily.
- Wild strawberry. During the day, eat 5 glasses of strawberries. Use strawberries systematically - 2 glasses for breakfast, one for lunch and two before bedtime. A month of strawberry treatment will force gout to retreat if it is at an early stage of development.
- Lilac. A half-liter bottle is filled with individual flowers of lilac, but not compacted. Pour a glass of vodka, occasionally shaking, insist week. Then take before meals for fifty drops. If alcohol is used, the dose is reduced by 2.5 times.
- The succession. Brew and drink as tea. Restrictions on the drink no. You can drink as much as you like. The main thing that the series was not intolerable.
The above recipes will help to overcome gout. Remember that the disease easily affects sedentary people. Therefore, to speed up recovery, you need to walk every day and pay attention to physical education.
Diet for gout
Gout is not cured completely. Regrettably, but you do not need to get upset, there is a way to reduce the duration and frequency of exacerbations. This effect is achieved by proper diet.
- In the diet include vegetable soups, pasta, cereals, low-fat dairy products, lean fish. In food, you can safely add dill, seizing food with bread.A day allowed to eat one egg. Cooking is recommended in vegetable or butter. Refractory fats are prohibited.
- Green apples, favorite berries (except raspberries), citrus fruits will diversify the menu. Incredibly useful are dried fruits (except raisins), seeds, nuts and natural honey. Sweets are allowed jam, marmalade and marshmallows.
- As for beverages, it is better to give preference to green tea, natural juice, or herbal decoction. It is useful to drink fruit compotes, fruit drinks, fresh cucumber juice and specialized mineral water.
- Diet for gout welcomes fasting days. Allowed for one vegetable, for example, potatoes. The diet can be cottage cheese, kefir or milk. If you eat one product hard, it is combined with other fruits or vegetables. In any case, the diet will relieve metabolic processes.
- For a fasting day, a diet based on rice and apples is ideal. During the day, it is recommended to quench your hunger with rice barley boiled in milk and make snacks from apples. Such a diet welcomes the use of apple compote, but without sugar.
Sample menu for the day
- Begin the day with vegetable salad, soft-boiled eggs, carrot pudding and green tea.
- For the second breakfast, savory compote of rose hips will do.
- They dine on milk soup, fragrant pancakes and jelly.
- Serves cheese, lean cabbage rolls and light tea for dinner.
- At bedtime, they drink a decoction based on wheat bran.
What can and can not be done with gout?
Proper nutrition is an important element of gout treatment. Supernova medicines will not show the proper effect if the patient does not follow a strict diet.
It is impossible
- Meat and offal. Violations in the absorption of protein contribute to the development of gout.
- Fried fish, smoked meat, broths from meat and mushrooms, canned food, beans and spices.
- Alcoholic drinks and beer. Not desirable coffee, strong tea, salty cheeses, chocolate products and almost all sweets.
- Fried and boiled vegetables, with a small reservation. You can not only radishes, celery, peppers and cauliflower.
- Fruit. Nuts, berries, apples, apricots, pears can be eat without fear.
- Of sweets in the white list includes marshmallows, jams and sweets without chocolate.
- Dairy products.Low-fat cottage cheese, cheese and kefir bring many benefits for gout.
- Porridge and pasta cooked in diluted milk.
Adhering to proper nutrition, you can prevent an attack of gout or its recurrence. The severity of the diet is determined by the stage of the disease. When remission is allowed lean meat - rabbit, chicken or turkey.
Health problems are easier to prevent than to cure. Gout is called an eating disorder. For this reason, the prevention of exacerbations involves a change in lifestyle and taste habits.
- Monitor nutrition, do not abuse foods that are high in purines.
- Do sport. Do not expose the body to heavy loads. Walking, morning jogging and light exercise abound. The main thing is that the joints do not receive a large load.
- Drink plenty of fluids, which contributes to the timely and complete removal of excess uric acid from the body.
- When sedentary work try to compensate for the shortcomings of activity with regular workouts. In addition, it will help to get rid of extra pounds that load the joints.
- Abandon narrow and uncomfortable shoes and clothes. Such items are harmful to the joints.
Statistics show that the prognosis of the disease under consideration is favorable. Symptoms of comorbidities cause more suffering to people than gout. Therefore, the timely adoption of adequate measures greatly facilitates the transfer of an attack.
I hope that after reading the article you will draw the right conclusions and realize that the exacerbation of gout can be prevented. By following the recommendations of doctors, eating right and constantly moving, you can avoid problems.
But even if the aggravation comes, do not disregard gout and do not treat yourself. Only a doctor, after evaluating the clinical picture, will determine a quick and effective treatment.
How to become more savvy
Baltic Pattern Mittens
How much does it take to earn a girl to live in Moscow
What to wear for the New Year: things with sequins