Delicious and fragrant German Stollen
Fans of baking will certainly appreciate the traditional German Stollen. And it is quite possible to cook it at home with your own hands.
What is this dish?
Stollen is a traditional German pastry that is usually served at Christmas. This is a kind of cake, shaped like a wrapped up in the cradle of Jesus Christ, this is the idea. The basis is a dense yeast dough, and candied fruit, marzipan, dried fruit, poppy seeds, nuts can be used as a filling.
For flavor can be added strong alcohol, for example, rum. There are several varieties of stollens, such as Dresden, poppy, oily, walnut, marzipan and even champagne.
The story of stollen originates from the Middle Ages, and the first mentions of such baking appeared in the far 14th century, and it was described as a kind of offering to the bishop. But in those days pies were used in fasting, so the dough was prepared in water.
How to cook?
How to cook German stollen? We offer two options.
To bake classic stollen, it is necessary to prepare the following products:
- 100 g butter;
- one lemon;
- large chicken egg;
- 150-170 g of a mixture of candied fruit and raisins;
- 300 g of flour;
- 50 ml of rum;
- 100 ml of milk;
- 100 g of sugar;
- a couple of tablespoons of powdered sugar for sprinkling;
- half a teaspoon of dry, fast yeast;
- a pinch of salt;
- optional spices, such as vanilla, cinnamon.
- First, you need to pour candied fruit and raisins with rum and leave to infuse all night so that the flavor is absorbed and the filling has acquired the desired softness.
- Next, rub lemon zest, mix it with sugar (literally leave a teaspoon for the dough), salt and spices.
- Soften butter (about 20 grams, leave to soak the cake).
- Half the amount of milk available carefully beat with eggs. In the remaining milk, dissolve the yeast and sugar, leave the dough for half an hour in a warm place.
- Then all the prepared compounds (dry mixture, oil, brew and milk-egg mixture) combine, mix. Enter flour into this mass. You should have a rather dense, but elastic dough. Leave it for two or three hours in a warm place so that it will “fit” a little and increase in volume.
- Next, the dough need to knead and beat. Then add candied fruit with raisins, infused with rum.
- Mash the dough slightly, and wrap the resulting rather thick layer: first one edge, then another on top of it.
- Place the cake on a baking tray made by baking paper, send it to bake at 170 degrees for about an hour.
- Soak in hot stollen with melted butter and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
This recipe will allow you to cook an appetizing stollen with marzipan. Here's what you need for this:
- a glass of milk;
- 500 g of flour;
- bag of dry yeast or 30 grams of fresh;
- 100 g of sugar;
- egg or yolk separately;
- 100 g raisins;
- 200 g almonds;
- 50-60 ml of rum;
- cinnamon stick
- First, pour the yeast with a small amount of milk, add a little sugar and leave this mixture for about half an hour to prepare the brew.
- Grate the orange zest.
- Immerse the cinnamon stick in the rum, leave it for a few hours or all night to get a bright aroma.
- Peel the almonds and chop them in any way to get an almost homogeneous mass. It will replace marzipan.
- Beat the sugar with the egg and the remaining milk, add the finished brew, as well as the zest and rum fed on vanilla. Start to enter the flour and knead the dough. When it is ready, cover it and set it aside: it should increase in volume.
- Raisins can be filled with boiling water for a short time if it is excessively hard.
- Add almond paste and raisins to the dough, mix everything thoroughly again.
- Roll out a thick layer, wrap it, put it on a baking sheet covered with parchment (it can be oiled).
- Bake stollen for about an hour at 160-170 degrees.
If you want to please the household or guests with unusual pastries, then try to bake German stollen and better learn the traditional cuisine of this country.
Why is the baby'
Delight and joy dogs
Paper towel holder
The best decorations of Cannes - 2017
Marfan syndrome - symptoms and signs
How to make sushi at home