Care croton (codiaum) at home
Croton (kodaeum) - an interesting houseplant, which designers use when decorating offices and houses. All thanks to the varied color and shape of the leaves. And this plant needs care. Therefore, the subject of the article will be care at home for the Croton.
There are types of Croton, which in their natural environment grow to a height of three meters. The height of room specimens does not exceed one meter.
Croton - capricious and appearance will show that you care for him incorrectly. Such signals are reduced to a change in color or wilting of the leaves.
Secrets of care
- Temperature conditions. The temperature in the room must be above 16 degrees, otherwise Croton drops leaves. Low temperatures lead to decay of the root system. The optimum temperature of the content is 22 degrees.
- Lighting. With good illumination, the leaves of the codium become evenly green and become brightly colored.Do not allow the sun to fall on the flower in summer. In winter, to ensure comfort, keep a window on the south window.
- Watering. During the warm season Croton well and regularly watering. The soil should dry no more than a centimeter. Lack of moisture causes a lot of problems. However, it is not possible to overdo it with irrigation, otherwise the elevated part of the croton and the root will rot. In autumn and winter, reduce watering. If there is a lack of moisture, as the plant will report with drooping leaves, spray it with water at room temperature from a spray bottle. Using cold water will start the procedure for dropping leaves.
- Air humidity. In spring and summertime, spray the codiaeum regularly. Carry out the procedure and in the winter, only less often. Wipe the leaves with a damp cloth. To increase the humidity of the air near the pot, place a container with wet pebbles, which, if properly designed, will additionally decorate the interior.
- Additional fertilizing. During the growing season Croton requires complex fertilizers, which are recommended to be applied weekly after watering. With the onset of the autumn-winter season, fertilize the flower once a month.
- Transfer. Young plants are recommended to replant in the spring once a year. During the process, use a pot that is slightly larger than the previous one. Replace gently, trying to keep an earthen room. Remember the drainage, which should account for the fourth part of the pot volume. Adult specimens are transplanted every few years.
- Breeding. Proper care promotes growth and creates normal conditions for reproduction. Experienced growers do this with the help of seeds and cuttings. Since this is an extensive topic, I will consider it separately.
- Diseases. In most cases, Croton suffers with a scaly and mealybug, but the spider mite often causes inconvenience. When problems arise, wash the plant with a soap solution and treat it with a special preparation.
Video tips and instructions
Many houseplants, including dracen and croton, need careful care. Labor costs of a grower, they are more than compensating for the beauty that pleases the eye and fills the interior with paint.
There are 14 species of Croton. In indoor floriculture has found application one species, which has a large number of varieties, forms and varieties.
In nature, the plant in question is a grassy perennial with wiry, leathery and dense foliage.The leaf shape is ovoid, linear or lanceolate. The highlight is not the axillary inflorescence with small flowers, and foliage.
In the home gardening housewives growcroton motleyand varieties differing in color and shape of leaves. The plant is demanding for care and maintenance conditions, so lazy and impatient people will not be able to grow this beauty. If you are not one of those, with a croton will have something to do when bored.
- Croton motley. Evergreen shrub, which at home grows to a meter height. The shoots are smooth, and the leaves are lanceolate and green. The color range of foliage varies depending on the variety.
- Croton motley genuinny. Foliage of lanceolate form, tapering to the base with unbroken and even edges. On the vein, which runs through the center of the leaf, there is a silvery pattern.
- Croton motley tortoise. It is characterized by olive-green leaves with a vein of red color and a golden stripe. There are small specks along the strip.
- Croton variegated oval leaf. On leaves there is a central vein with a pattern of golden color.Oval leaves with a blunt base and top.
- Croton motley triple band. Beautiful leaves, each of which is divided into three separate parts. On the foliage stripes of golden hue, passing along the main veins.
- Croton colored motley. The leaves resemble foliage ovalnolistogo fellow, but they are elongated.
I looked at the six most common types of codiama found in domestic breeding.
The homeland of Croton is the tropical land of India and Asia, where in its natural environment the height reaches three meters.
It is impossible to grow a codiaeum without proper care and attention. Room exotic blossoms imperceptibly, but motley and colorful leaves have excellent decorative properties. The color pigment undergoes changes in early autumn, which is not due to the season of the year, but to the age of the foliage.
Method one - reproduction by seeds
Croton growing from seeds is rarely practiced; technology has the right to life. Sow seeds at the end of winter.
- First, treat the seeds with phytohormones. To do this, lower them into the appropriate solution for two to three hours.Next, sift surface into a compact container or box, sprinkled with a thin layer of earth.
- After a month there will be small shoots. Dilate the seedlings in separate pots. Provide seedlings with stable temperature and humidity using airing and spraying.
Method two - grafting
A popular croton breeding method is cutting, although buried shoots are suitable for this purpose.
- To root rooted, sprinkle it with earth in a pot with the mother flower. After rooting, cut off a new shoot and plant in a separate pot.
- The basis of breeding cuttings is the use of phytohormones. Cutting the cuttings fifteen centimeters long into the water with activated and charcoal. After appearing on the slices of milky juice, cut the cuttings. To reduce the intensity of evaporation of moisture, roll the leaves on the shoots.
- Plant the planting material in a moistened substrate and keep it in greenhouse conditions until rooting. The care that accompanies this process comes down to regular airing and spraying.
- After 30 days, the shoots will give roots. After that, spread them out.Growth promoters are available that accelerate the rooting process.
For beginners, I do not recommend the second method, but more experienced specialists can try.
Video tips on proper breeding
What to do if the leaves dry and fall
As practice shows, if croton sheds leaves - it is improperly looked after or pests appeared. In some cases, this phenomenon is due to a natural process.
In this chapter, I will tell you what to do if croton leaves and leaves dry. But before we deal with this phenomenon, we will determine the root cause.
Croton leaves have an unusual color, so immediately detect signs of drying is problematic. Most often, the problem is noticed when the foliage is showered. Basically, such a result is caused by a lack (the leaves are dry and crumble when touched) or an excess of moisture (the leaves are withered and tangible), dry air, drafts or pest activity.
A common pest that affects the exotic, is a spider mite. It can be determined by the loss of color and spiderweb on the foliage. It gives a lot of problems to the plant and scytofiki, when waxy dark spots appear on the leaves.
If the plant discards old leaves that are located in the bottom row is a natural process. If young foliage falls, make sure that you properly care for the flower.
- In the presence of characteristic signs of pest damage, treat the croton with special preparations and cut the affected leaves. I advise you to use "Aktellik" to fight spider mites, and "Karbofos" will help to cope with the shield.
- If the traces of pest stay are not found, change the irrigation technique. The top layer of the soil should dry out, and the bottom should remain moist. If the room is hot, sprinkle the codaeum regularly with water and wipe the leaves.
Listening to the recommendations, you save the pristine beauty of an exotic Croton. Just do not forget before starting the action to establish the cause of the falling leaves. Only in this case you do not harm the flower and can help.
Summarizing the above, I will add that Croton reaches the peak of beauty only in good lighting conditions. If you put the pot in a place where there is not enough light, the leaves will lose intense color.
If you decide to become a florist and keep codiaeum in your arsenal, water properly, provide the optimum temperature, feed and fertilize, and the plant will pay for your care with a chic appearance and dazzling beauty.
How to install the socket yourself
Why a woman is not a device with boobs
12 products that are better not to cut, but grated
How to regain strength and return energy
Treatment of flu 2016-2017 at home with inexpensive medications and folk remedies. How to treat flu in children - advice from Dr. Komarovsky
Polymer clay basket
Melania Trump returned to Twitter after a long disappearance, but on the web this is not believed