Andaman Islands - luxury vacation in an unusual place
Do you want to go on holiday to some unusual place? Then, as the object of your journey, choose the fascinating Andaman Islands.
What are these islands?
The Andaman Islands is an archipelago located in the Indian Ocean between Myanmar and India. It belongs to the Indian Allied Territory of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, and it includes 204 islands, the total area of which is about 6,400 km2.
The population is about 350 thousand people, but, surprisingly, the indigenous people are only about 500, all the rest are visitors. The largest city is Port Blair, its population is about 100 thousand people. By the way, on the islands, pumpkins, mangoes, tea, coconut palms and breadfruit trees are cultivated.
And a bit of history, it is quite interesting. In 1789, the British conquered the archipelago, but more than once they had to fight uprisings, the indigenous population in every way wanted to defend the territory.And in the period from 1858 to 1952 the British from the Andaman Islands referred to prisoners from India. But today this place is open to tourists.
How to get here?
Every tourist should know that the Andaman and Nicobar Islands are a closed area, to enter which you need not only a visa, but also a special permit. You need to get it in the office of immigration, located on the pier Haddo.
But if you arrive to the islands by water, then you need to get permission in advance, and on the mainland, for example, in Chennai or Kolkata. In addition, it can be issued when you make a regular Indian visa. Often help is provided by travel agencies. In any case, an ordinary tourist can stay on the islands for no longer than 30 days.
By the way, the authorities of India allow tourist tours far from all the islands, so you can visit only a few of them, such as Middle Andaman, Little Andaman, South Andaman, Diglipur, Neil, Baratang, Havelock and some others.
Prices for tours, unfortunately, are often high, due to the remoteness of the islands and the difficulties that may arise at the entrance.Such trips offer few travel agencies, but in the future the situation may change.
How to get there?
Getting to the islands is not as easy as we would like, direct flights from Chennai, Delhi and Kolkata. But it is planned to open flights from Bangkok (probably charter are already available). Moreover, it is best to book tickets in advance, as during the tourist season their cost may increase several times.
Another available method is to sail a ship, but this is a rather risky undertaking, since the journey will be very long, its duration can reach several days. And yet it is quite dangerous.
Where is the best place to go?
The most popular resorts of the Andaman Islands:
- Viper Island is ideal for those who dream of seclusion. Most of this island is covered with sand and greenery.
- Corbin Bay is one of the few places where you can enjoy the usual for many rest. There are not only beaches, but also fashionable hotels and restaurants.
- Diglipur Island is famous for the fact that there are very beautiful places here: the only river Kaplong, orange groves. And here you can see amazing inhabitants of the underwater world.
- Rutland Island is suitable for travelers who prefer eco-tourism. Here you can see coral reefs, mangroves. And you can stay in small cozy cottages.
- Neil Island is a quiet and almost deserted area.
- Karmatang will delight you with a small, quiet and secluded beach.
- Havelock Island is an incredibly beautiful coral reefs, numerous inhabitants of the ocean, as well as crystal clear water.
- Vandur is the gateway to the national park named after Mahatma Gandhi.
Where to stay?
If you plan to go to the Andaman Islands and expect a chic holiday with all the conditions, a full range of services and an all-inclusive system, you may be disappointed, as there are very few five-star hotels. But still remember that the main thing here is not this, but the stunning nature, the special atmosphere and tranquility that you can only dream of on the big land.
If you decide to visit several islands at once, you can get from one to the other by helicopter or by ferry, both of which run regularly.
To travel on one island, you can use the services of so-called auto-rickshaws or taxi drivers.In addition, you can rent a scooter.
The climate of the Andaman Islands is tropical, the temperature here rarely drops below 20-23 degrees. Humidity is high, it reaches 70-90%. The best time to visit is a period from about October to May, since winter is considered the rainy season. And at the end of summer storms often happen here, and quite serious ones.
What is there to do?
Variants of classes weight, everyone will find something for the soul:
- You can do water sports, such as diving, surfing. And even if you are not familiar with them, experienced instructors will help you learn the basics.
- Here it will definitely be interesting to real travelers and adventurers, because on the islands there is something to see and something to be surprised at.
- Enjoy a beach holiday. The beaches are very clean, the sand is white, the sun is gentle, and the water is warm. And on some beaches you can even find large turtles laying eggs.
- There are a lot of museums here, so if you want to get to know the islands better, then be sure to visit one of them.
- There are 9 national parks on the islands, as well as more than 90 reserves, so you can fully enjoy the flora and fauna.
- Just take a walk, you will see: a lot of interesting things are waiting for you.
- In one of the few cafes you can taste Indian cuisine, including very exotic.
But lovers of nightlife and parties here will be uninteresting, since there are practically no bars and nightclubs. But this is not the case for the Andaman Islands.
Useful tips for tourists
Some recommendations for tourists:
- Some islands still inhabit the indigenous people, and there are tribal settlements. And some Aboriginal people got acquainted with civilization quite recently, so they can walk without clothes or in loincloths, let it not frighten you. And many places of settlement of tribes from tourists are closed.
- Taking photos and videos on the islands where the aborigines live is, in most cases, forbidden.
- In some places, nature is wild, as are fauna and flora. So, firstly, be more attentive to the plants and better not touch them, and secondly, before you go make all the necessary vaccinations.
Now you know almost everything about the Andaman Islands. There definitely worth to go!
How to choose an electric kettle and gas stove
The most popular signs about shoes
How to choose lamps
Porcelain Wedding - wedding anniversary 20 years
Why is the baby'
How to celebrate the new year with your beloved
Wallet with embroidery owl